Milena Bellin, PhD - "Cardiac organoids from human pluripotent stem cells for modelling inherited diseases and testing drugs "
- When Mar 21, 2023 from 12:00 PM to 01:15 PM (Europe/Berlin / UTC100)
- Where Tigem Auditorium Angelo Maramai
- Contact Name Andrea Ballabio
- Contact Phone 08119230659
- Add event to calendar iCal
- Milena Bellin, PhD - "Cardiac organoids from human pluripotent stem cells for modelling inherited diseases and testing drugs "
Milena Bellin, PhD (Short CV)
University of Padova and Veneto Institute of Molecular medicine (IT)
& Leiden University Medical Center (NL)
Human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) from patients are a precious tool to study human cardiac disease. We recently developed three-dimensional multi-cellular cardiac organoids combining hiPSC-derived cardiomyocytes, cardiac fibroblasts, and cardiac endothelial cells. We demonstrate that, under these culture conditions, hiPSC-cardiomyocytes mature to post-natal levels at structural, functional, electrical, and metabolic level. Using patient-derived hiPSCs, we show that cardiac fibroblasts can be active contributors to arrhythmia and that mature hiPSC-cardiomyocytes express post-natal isoforms of cardiac ion channels, revealing mutation effects in heart disease. Finally, we demonstrate that the cardiac organoids capture cardio-toxic effects of anti-cancer drugs. We will discuss directions and challenges in the field.