: The workplace is the Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine, located in Pozzuoli, Naples, Italy. More info at www.tigem.itWhen
: Planned starting date will be July 2021. Duration of the contract will be 3 years with possibility of renewal.What
: The Cortese group at TIGEM is recruiting a post-doctoral fellow to work on the mechanisms of SARS-CoV-2 induced pathogenesis.
Positive-strand RNA viruses replicates their genome in specialized compartments called “replication organelles”. To forms these replication organelles, viruses extensively remodel the cellular landscape, in a process that involves both viral proteins and host factors.
The research activities focus on defining the molecular mechanisms governing cellular remodeling and viral replication organelle biogenesis during SARS-CoV-2 infection. Our aim will be to identify essential host factors responsible for those alterations and dissect the molecular mechanisms that lead to SARS-CoV-2 induced cellular cytopathogenesis. We will use advanced imaging techniques, such as electron tomography and correlative light and electron microscopy, to define the alterations induced by viral infection on the cellular morphology. Imaging studies will be complemented with genetic manipulations (CRISPR-Cas9 mediated knock-out/in, siRNA, ecc.) and “–omics” approaches (lipidomic and proteomic) to dissect the role of selected host factors during the SARS-CoV-2 infectious cycle.
Relevant Literature (PMID): 33208793; 33245857; 33257477; 31141684
- Design and optimize a SARS-CoV-2 molecular clone.
- Design and perform screening approaches in close collaboration with the High-Throughput-Screening core facility
- Perform genetic perturbation using CRISPR-Cas9 to define the role of host factors during SARS-CoV-2 infection
- Collaborate with the Advanced Imaging Facility to characterize the molecular and structural composition of SARS-CoV-2 replication organelles
- Perform experiments in high-containment research laboratory (BSL-3)
- Contribute to the operation and maintenance of lab infrastructure and equipment.
- Mentor undergraduate students
Education and experience:
- Ph.D. in Biology or equivalent qualification.
- Previous experience in cellular and molecular biology.
- Knowledge and interested in imaging techniques (either light or electron microscopy).
- Previous experience in virology is desirable, but not mandatory.
- Ability to work independently.
- Team player with good communication skills
: The salary will be discussed with the applicants, based on their previous experience.How to apply
: In order to submit your application, please send an email with your CV and a motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for applying!