The IT core has expanded over the years in order to fulfill the multiple needs of research, teaching and service activities, and to keep pace with the growth of the institute. Moreover, the recent move to the new TIGEM site and the growth of the research facilities required to redesign the IT infrastructure. Indeed in addition to the standard core services for (network, web portal, email, DBMS, etc.), the IT core of TIGEM provides the computational and storage infrastructure for the Bioinformatics Core, the Next Generation Sequencing Facility and the High Content Screening Facility. These three services are critical for the Institute and require high-end computational resources and secure storage. These are a non-trivial tasks that in other Institute have dedicated computational and storage resources.
At TIGEM, the IT core managed to reduce costs and optimize the performances for all of these services by an integrated approach which involves an expandable high performance computing cluster and storage system shared by the IT core and the other facilities. This solution helps to keep the installation, maintenance and upgrade cross down, to avoid duplication of resources, and to allocate resources where and when needed and facilitates.
The IT infrastructure thus encompasses the set of equipment and applications required for research, teaching, administrative activities, the web portal of the institute, the computer network and parts of the shared technology infrastructure of the research complex.
The IT core has also responsibility over the management of privacy and security policies of information flows, over the services quality control and user satisfaction assessment, over the evaluation and selection of standards; it also advises as required on the acquisition of IT-related goods and services, and on the outsourcing of some services. The activities of IT core can be broadly subdivided in the following areas:
- Management of IT infrastructure and IT security;
- User account management and access policies to computer equipment and data transmission network;
- Acquisition of IT goods and services;
- Technical training for the entire administrative staff;
- Backup and Disaster Recovery;
- Management institutional portal and web development;
- Technical support for audio/video for seminar rooms and auditorium;
- TIGEM Cloud Storage and synchronization of each device;
- Development and Management a Virtual Infrastructure;
- Print Services (centralized print management, plotters, copiers);
- HelpDesk for admin, research staff and students;